Curriculum Vitae - Ian T. Riley
1. Professional employment
Institute of Plant Protection and Agro-products Safety, Anhui Academy of Agricultural Science, China - Research Scientist (current)
Hefei University of Technology, China - Foreign Language Teacher (current)
China Agricultural University - Managing Editor, Frontiers of Agriculture Science and Engineering (current)
Eynesbury College - Teacher of English for Academic Purposes
University of South Australia - Research Education Adviser (Sciences, Technology and Engineering)
South Australian Research Institute - Senior Research Officer, Molecular Diagnostics
South Australian Research Institute - Senior Soil Biologist, Field Crops Pathology
The University of Adelaide - Lecturer in Soil and Plant Nematology
WA Department of Agriculture/Agriculture Western Australia - Principal Consultant (Plant Disease), Agriculture Protection Program
WA Department of Agriculture/Agriculture Western Australia - Senior Plant Pathologist (Nematology, Quarantine Plant Pathologist)
WA Department of Agriculture - Plant Pathologist (Nematology)
WA Department of Agriculture - Research Leader/Legume Agronomist (Kununurra)
The University of Adelaide - Lecturer in Bacteriology (casual, part time)
SA Department of Agriculture - Senior Research Officer (Bacteriologist)
Murdoch University - Professional Officer
Murdoch University - Demonstrator (part time)
2. Contract and other roles
South Australian Research and Development Institute - professional and technical services in agricultural science (current)
The OET Centre and the University of Melbourne - interlocutor and invigilator in Occupational English Testing (engaged by Talent2)
Office of the Chief Plant Protection Officer, Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry - workshop preparation and presentation
BART Pty Ltd, Western Australia - Dilophospora distribution, professional and technical representation in South Australia
SA Department of Agriculture/South Australian Research and Development Institute - computer consultant, development and maintenance of computer software for ARGT, CMV and Bacterial Blight testing services
Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation, AusAID Commodity Support Program - computer consultant, development, installation and training for a database for the national insect and plant pathology collections of PNG.
3. Honorary roles
The University of Adelaide - Affiliate Associate Professor, School of Agriculture, Food and Wine, Faculty of Sciences
Henan Agricultural University - Visiting Scientist and Academic Developer, Department of Plant Protection, Henan Agricultural University, Zhengzhou, Henan, China
Hebei Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences - Visiting Scientist (Endeavour Australia Cheung Kong Postdoctoral Fellow), Institute of Plant Protection, Baoding, Hebei, China
United States Department of Agriculture - Visiting Scientist, USDA-ARS Foreign Disease-Weed Science Research Unit, Ft Detrick MD, USA
4. Tertiary education
Murdoch University - PhD
The University of Sydney - BScAgr (Hons)
5. Professional association
Royal Society of South Australia
- Fellow, 1999-current
- Member of Editorial Board, Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia, 2003
Australasian Plant Pathology Society
- Member, 1983-2011
- Treasurer for sixth APPS conference, Adelaide, May 1987
- Convenor of Recent Advances in Plant Pathogen Diagnosis; a workshop held in conjunction with the APPS conference, Adelaide, May, 1987
- Treasurer/Registrar for eleventh APPS conference, Perth, 1997
- Senior Editor (Nematology) Australasian Plant Pathology, 2001-2007
Australasian Association of Nematologists
- Member, 1991-2012
- Editor, Australasian Nematology Newsletter, 1995-1997
- Convenor of 'Nematode Control – Genes and Microbes'; a workshop of the AAN held in conjunction with the APPS conference, Perth, May, 1997
- Secretary, 1997-2007
- Convenor of 'Review of Nematode Resistance Breeding/Screening in Australasia'
Society of Nematologists
- Member, 1995-2010
International Society for Infectious Disease
- Member, 1999-current
6. Professional service
African Journal of Biotechnology
Annals of Applied Biology
Australasian Plant Pathology
Australian Journal of Experimental Agricultural
Australian Journal of Agricultural Research
Crop and Pasture Science
European Journal of Plant Pathology
European Journal of Soil Biology
Journal of Applied Microbiology
Journal of Nematology
Plant and Soil
Soil Science Society of America Journal
Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia
Senior Editor (Nematology), Australasian Plant Pathology
Editor, Australasian Nematology Newsletter
Associate Editor, Plant and Soil
- Dairy Research and Development Corporation
- US-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund
- USDA-CSREES Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program
- Australian National University
- Charles Sturt University
- James Cook University
- Macquarie University
- Murdoch University
- University of Adelaide
- University of Queensland
- University of Southern Queensland
- University of Western Australia
- Annual Ryegrass Toxicity National Coordination and Advisory Team convened by Meat and Livestock Australia
- WA Supreme Court
- National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia
Scientific journals (referred) - 79
Book chapters, reports and other publications - 76 published, 2 in press
Conference presentations - 78
Please see the separate publications list for details.
8. Invited presentations and training provision
Developed and delivered PublishBiology.net (Getting Published in the International Scientific Literature: a Course for Users of English as an Additional Language). Course in Zhengzhou (2), Baoding, Xiamen, Hefei, China in the first year from October. For details see PublishBiology.net and the course history.
- Fourth International Crawford Fund Master Class in Soil Borne Pathogens of Wheat, 20 June-2 July 2010, ANADOLU Research Institute, Eskisehir, Turkey (one of the key instructors).
- Publishing Science in English for Nematologists. Ankara Class - CIMMYT Offices, Ankara, Turkey, 3 days, 15-17 October 2009. Adana Class - Plant Protection Research Institute, Turkish Ministry of Agriculture, Adana, Turkey 3 days, 27-29 October 2009 (sole instructor).
- The First Workshop of the International Cereal Cyst Nematode Initiative, 21-23 October 2009, Antalya, Turkey (co-organiser, proceedings editor, invited speaker).
- Fourth National Workshop on Cereal Cyst Nematodes in China, 7-10 May 2009, Zhengzhou, Henan, China (invited speaker and session chair).
- Cereal cyst nematode control (including results and implications of the Qinghai study). Qinghai Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Science, 20 November 2008, Xining, Qinghai, China.
- Cereal cyst nematode impact. International Workshop on Cereal Cyst Nematode, Institute of Plant Protection, Qinghai Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Science, 1-3 August 2008, Xining, Qinghai, China.
- Cereal cyst nematode – an emerging constraint to wheat production in China. Ninth National Symposium on Nematology, 21-23 July 2008, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China.
Pasture Soil Biology – New Tool for Research and Monitoring, Pilot training courses presented in Bendigo, Vic. 5 June and Murray Bridge, SA 17 June 2008 (co-presented with A. McKay and R. Hannam).
- Third International Crawford Fund Master Class in Soil Borne Pathogens of Wheat, 27 April-9 May 2008, National Institute of Agronomy Research of Tunisia, Tunis, Tunisia (one of the four key instructors).
- Cereal Cyst Nematode Biology and Research – ATSE Crawford Fund Training Course, 28 October-4 November 2007, Gansu Agricultural University, Lanzhou, Gansu and Qinghai Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Science, Xining, Qinghai, China (sole instructor).
Pasture Soil Biology – New Tool for Research, Pilot training courses presented in Wagga Wagga, NSW, 18 April and Albany, WA 23 April 2007 (co-presented with A. McKay and R. Hannam).
- CCN molecular quantification and risk assessment, and CCN resistance breeding – Australian practice. International Workshop on Cereal Cyst Nematode- Challenge and Chance, Institute of Plant Protection, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 13-14 April 2007, Beijing, China.
- DNA assays for studying soil biology, and Pest and diseases of South Australian agriculture. 8 April 2007, Biology Research Institute, Shandong Academy of Sciences, Jinan, Shandong, China.
- DNA assays for studying soil biology, 19 December 2006, Yunnan Agricultural University, Kunming, Yunnan, China.
- DNA assays for pasture soils, and Pest and diseases of South Australian agriculture. 5 September 2006, Plant Protection Institute, Hebei Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences, Baoding, Hebei, China.
- ATSE Crawford Fund International Workshop on Cereal Cyst Nematode. 8-12 May 2006, Plant Protection Institute, Hebei Academy of Agricultural and Forestry Sciences, Hebei, China (one of two key presenters).
- Development of DNA assays for study of organisms in pasture soil. 10 October 2005, Anhui Agricultural University, Hefei, Anhui, China.
- Second International Crawford Fund Master Class in Soil Borne Pathogens of Wheat, 9-20 May 2005, Henan Agricultural University, Zhengzhou, Henan, China (one of the four key instructors).
- Workshop on collection and preservation of plant pathogens, Office of the Chief Plant Protection Officer, Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fishers, 20-22 April 2005, Vegetable Research Institute, Lembang, West Java, Indonesia (one of four key instructors).
Anguina and associated microorganisms. Shanxi Agricultural University, 17 May 2004, Taigu, China.
- Seed-borne nematodes. Healthy Seeds and Healthy Crop Production Symposium, Fifteenth International Plant Protection Congress, 11-16 May 2004, Beijing, China.
- Seed-borne nematodes. Vegetable Seed Pathology and PCR Workshop on Seed Health Testing, China Agricultural University, 4-10 May 2004, Beijing, China.
- First International Crawford Fund Master Class in Soil Borne Pathogens of Cereals, 15-27 June 2003, ANADOLU Research Institute, Eskisehir, Turkey (one of the four key instructors).
- Biological control of ARGT. ARGT: What practices will minimise the risk? Workshop on annual ryegrass toxicity sponsored by MLA, WADA and CSIRO, 7 November 2002, El Cabalo Golf Resort, Wollaroo, Western Australia.
- Plant parasitic nematodes in Australian agricultural soils. Root/soil biology in Agriculture: Towards a new conceptual framework. GRDC-sponsored workshop, 30 October - 2 November 2002. CSIRO Plant Industry, Canberra.
Anguina-Rathayibacter Associations: biology, toxicity and biocontrol. May, 2002 (3 presentations), USDA-ARS Foreign Disease-Weed Science Research Unit, Ft Detrick MD, USA, Institute of Ecology and Biological Resources, National Center for Natural Science and Technology of Vietnam, Hanoi, Vietnam and USDA-ARS National Forage Seed Production Research Center, Oregon State University, Corvallis OR, USA.
- Corynetoxin poisoning and annual ryegrass toxicity. American Society of Microbiology 102nd General Meeting, 19-23 May 2002, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
- Seed-borne plant parasitic nematodes: biology, significance, detection and disinfestation. International Workshop on Seed Health Testing, 3-8 December 2001, National Taiwan University, Taipei, R.O.C.
- Seed-borne plant parasitic nematodes: extraction and identification of seed-borne stages. International Workshop on Seed Health Testing, 3-8 December 2001, National Taiwan University, Taipei, R.O.C.
Anguina and associates: biology, toxicity and biocontrol, June-July, 2000 (3 presentations), Kyoto University, Japan, National Agricultural Research Centre, Tsukuba, Japan and Rothamsted in England.
Clavibacter toxicus:nNematode-vectored actinomycete responsible for corynetoxin poisoning in livestock consuming infected grasses. 1998 Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australian Society of Microbiology, 27 September-2 October 1998, Hobart, Tasmania.
9. Other competencies
- English teaching (Cambridge CELTA, November-December, 2013 and Cert IV in TESOL, January 2014)
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, August 2013
Biometrics and statistics (GenStat, interactive and batch jobs)
- Database design and implementation (MS Access, SQL)
- Information technology (wide range of application software under Linux, OS X and Windows)
- Computer programming (Python, Visual Basic, Pascal, FORTRAN)
- Construction and workshop skills (design and manufacture of custom experimental equipment)
- Field and remote area operation (navigation, safety, survival and vehicle use and maintenance)
Viewed 2014-10-25 09:24:32 by anon. 74327 views.